I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-08 06:30:16

Prisoner416

Overall, I loved the campaign. However, The manor level in particular was bothersome.

After I lit the flares, I kept looking out the window, waiting for a helicopter. I almost try to jump out the window, hoping the helicopter is near the roof. I couldn't look for long since zombies were swarming me, so it took a few minutes for me to spot the helicopter that landed on the pad which I had missed on my entry.

Okay. No big deal. I fight tooth and nail, finally get to the helicopter, and for no apparent reason it goes apeshit and crashes. Huh. Now what, I ask myself. I enter the nearby saferoom and ammo up. After I realize the level won't end with this saferoom, I start wandering around the map aimlessly until I finally find out the copter crash was scripted to open a pathway to another saferoom. Meanwhile, I resist the urge to shoot Francis for yelling "GO GO GO!" in my ear every ten seconds.

A better solution, in my mind, would be a scripted explosion. Say, the helicopter takes off and detonates a barricade that was set up, like the one in No Mercy. Would make it a lot easier to figure out where to head next. Normally I try to AVOID scenes of flaming crashes.

Also, keep in mind this is just the cons. Everything else... all pluses and overall, I give it an A++.

Last edited by Prisoner416 (2010-06-08 06:57:59)

#2 2010-06-08 07:05:54

Gurluas

Re: Feedback: The manor

Perhaps a text on the wall telling you to light the flares?

#3 2010-06-08 07:43:54

Prisoner416

I had no problem lighting the flares whatsoever. Please re-read the post.

#4 2010-06-08 08:24:48

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Prisoner416 wrote:

Okay. No big deal. I fight tooth and nail, finally get to the helicopter, and for no apparent reason it goes apeshit and crashes. Huh. Now what, I ask myself. I enter the nearby saferoom and ammo up. After I realize the level won't end with this saferoom,

Well okay, I see what you're trying to explain but which saferoom did you reach exactly? There's only two saferoom, one being the one from the start (which isn't obvisouly the ending one) and one being after the church. If you had found the one after the church, it would make sense, but I'm being a bit lost at sea here.

Prisoner416 wrote:

Meanwhile, I resist the urge to shoot Francis for yelling "GO GO GO!" in my ear every ten seconds.

You shouldn't resist that kind of urge, all the bots deserve is to be shot in the face... but yeah, we'll try to add longer pauses between them yelling.

Prisoner416 wrote:

A better solution, in my mind, would be a scripted explosion. Say, the helicopter takes off and detonates a barricade that was set up, like the one in No Mercy. Would make it a lot easier to figure out where to head next. Normally I try to AVOID scenes of flaming crashes.

Well, that's exactly what's happening, there is like a giant explosion already, with a big loud noise, flashes of light, debris flying in the air, trees falling, smoke and everything while the helicopter fights its way through fences and walls. I'm sure you'll understand we're not going to detonate some nuclear explosion here, big_smile I can't really see what we can do other than that. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do it, so I can't promise.

#5 2010-06-08 11:46:03

Cameron:D
Website

NykO18 wrote:

we're not going to detonate some nuclear explosion here

Oh man, do it!
I saw the drawings on the wall, the ones with the mushroom cloud and BOOM! written underneath it smile
Now to bring that into the actual game...

#6 2010-06-08 19:14:14

crowbar87

I also was confused as to where I was supposed to go. But after I figured it out it was no problem.
I respect the developers decisions that were made here and I think the whole scripted event turned out rather pretty well.

Although there are two issues I have with this level:
1.the manor and the area around it are very dark. Some times I find myself concentrating so much since I can barley see a thing. I think the night should be a bit more brighter...
2.the AI tend to hold back and keep a safe distance from me. (maybe I have bad breath or something?) this issue makes the decent down from the room with the radio to the chopper kind hard.
This issue is also very annoying in the following level – the caverns. Sometimes the survivors stay away from each other and I have to run around and revive them.

#7 2010-06-08 19:21:20

Prisoner416

I was a dumbass and ran towards the nearest safehouse I could find, whic was the starting one. It was almost impossible to get back out of it after endless hordes of zombies kept blocking the doorway.

Board footer