I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-05 15:58:46

AtomicStryker

Feedback

++ Maps with extreme detail (and you say you had to remove much of it?!)
++ most certainly the most polished L4D custom campaign out there
++ 'new' landscapes, level designs unlike ever seen in the original

The levels were designed primarily for Coop i presume? Looking at Map 1 from a versus point of view, theres next to zero chance for poor Boomer to ever get close to Survivors. Its just too open.

On the other hand, in the Lumberyard, theres a ridiculous maze of room seperators in one of the Warehouses that seems a bit out of place.

Also, there appears to be huge map areals off the "path" from spawn to Saferoom. (Usually when walking the opposite direction the signs tell you) Do those serve a purpose? I might have overlooked a 'way' you could pass through there.

#2 2010-06-05 16:30:19

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Feedback

AtomicStryker wrote:

++ Maps with extreme detail (and you say you had to remove much of it?!)

Yeah, we had to remove more than 300 hundred objects off the fourth level and an entire part of the third level along with a simplification of the geometry.

AtomicStryker wrote:

The levels were designed primarily for Coop i presume? Looking at Map 1 from a versus point of view, theres next to zero chance for poor Boomer to ever get close to Survivors. Its just too open.

Yes, this was designed with Coop only in mind, and we tried our best to patch Versus on top of it because the tools provided by Valve doesn't allow us to release lump files used to remove/add sections in versus. We talked about it there: http://www.ihatemountains.com/2010/03/t … he-tunnel/

AtomicStryker wrote:

On the other hand, in the Lumberyard, theres a ridiculous maze of room seperators in one of the Warehouses that seems a bit out of place.

It's the apocalypse, you have to confine people and squeeze them to avoid confusion and violent crowd movements. We drew inspiration from movies like 28 days later, 28 weeks later, Dawn of the Dead, etc. It also allows infected to surprise players around the corners.

AtomicStryker wrote:

Also, there appears to be huge map areals off the "path" from spawn to Saferoom. (Usually when walking the opposite direction the signs tell you) Do those serve a purpose? I might have overlooked a 'way' you could pass through there.

You might be talking about space used for different paths. Sometimes there's several paths to reach the end, and sometimes some of these path are blocked on map spawn to force players to use different ones. When you arrive at the location the two paths were supposed to join, you can go backward on the second path and you'll hit the obstacle that blocked you from the start. It has no purpose whatsoever, but we left it.

Board footer